Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Coming Soon…er or later



Lately I have noticed ridiculously specific "Coming Soon" type signs.

At LegoLand in Grapevine on August 6th: The boys and I walked past a barbed-wire fence with some construction going on behind it. There were people digging but it wasn't obvious what they were building. Then I saw a sign about a little water park, like Aqua Lego Land or something. It was hot so I silently wished that it had opened five minutes ago. But the sign promised it would open soon:

Coming August 2014

August 2014? That's real soon. That's now. And the only thing done on this attraction was a few holes--and that barbed wire fence. It wasn't even going to be close to ready by August 31st.

Later that week I saw a sign in Frisco's "City Center" about an apartment complex.

Ground Breaking Spring 2014

Well, Spring 2014 has come and gone, folks. Summer's almost over too. And that ground ain't broken. It's just a field, a field with a fictional sign on it.

I'm sure when the people make the signs they think the projects will really happen at the expected time. But why, why do they think that? Because has any construction project in the history of businesses, houses and water parks EVER been completed on time? I know this and I'm not even in the construction business.

So why not build in a little time on those "Coming Soon" signs? Or better yet, be a little more vague: that's why someone invented the phrase "Coming Soon." Who's to say what is soon? It could be next week. It could be a few months. It could be a few years. You're totally safe in the "soon" zone.

My dad had a good idea for a sign of this nature. I can't remember exactly what it was so correct me if I'm wrong, GR. But I think it was something like:

"Coming Before You Die."

And maybe the sign could have a little footnote: "…unless you are really old already or you are in an unfortunate accident, in either case you won't be missing much."






2 comments:

GR said...

I think it was "Coming eventually," but I like your idea better.

Writinggal said...

Ah, yes, that was it!