Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Scrubbin'





I've always envied people who have jobs that require them to wear scrubs. They look so comfortable. Elastic pants, roomy shirt, no worries about "is this okay for work?" or "did I wear this on Monday?" as you're getting dressed. And if you spill something on your scrubs, you just pull another pair out of the dispenser. (They come in a big tissue-like box, right?)

Doctors and nurses definitely need to wear scrubs. They have to be comfortable. And I suppose scrubs provide some level of sanitation? Actually, I'm not really sure why they have to wear scrubs but I accept it.

Have you noticed, though, that the number of jobs where it's appropriate to wear scrubs has increased? It's like if you have any tie at all to the medical field, you're sporting scrubs. Like the receptionist at a doctor's office. She sits at the front desk all day, doesn't even go into the exam rooms. Does she really need to wear scrubs? Wouldn't it make more sense for her to wear a twin set?

Leo's occupational therapist wears scrubs. I get that. OTs do a lot of physical work. It would be hard to do all that they do in a button down shirt and slacks. But at the same place, the speech pathologists wear scrubs. Come on. I call that cheating.

Because if speech pathologists, who sit in a room with one kid at at time, need to wear scrubs then teachers should certainly get to wear 'em. Those folks really need to be comfortable, dealing with 30 kids at a time.

And what about construction workers? I bet they'd prefer to be wearing the loose ensemble while they hammer away in all sorts of weather. Actually, they probably need to be more covered. Bad idea.

You know who needs scrubs the most? Stay at home moms! Boy, would I love it if scrubs were our uniform. I'd get a pair with my name and title on it! And I'd definitely get some with silly critters all over them. Scrubs would be perfect for taking the kids to preschool, going to work out, cleaning the house, chasing escape artists, changing diapers, cooking, picking up thrown food, wiping up spills, doing laundry, blogging!

I have heard, though, that scrubs can cause you to gain weight. That's because you don't notice you're packing on the pounds due to the loose fitting waist band. It expands as you expand!

So maybe I won't push for it among the stay at home mom crowd. Did ya hear that, doctor's office receptionists?

2 comments:

Liz said...

HAHA! That is SO true about the receptionists.... never thought about it before. Now I'm always going to notice people in scrubs who shouldn't be allowed to wear them. Same way I always think of you every time I return a cart. This is your way of staying in peoples' heads, isn't it? *slow claps*

Writinggal said...

I do like to stay in people's heads! And I love the slow clap. I often try to start one but it rarely takes off.