Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Water People

One day in mid-July I noticed that our water tasted disgusting. To me, it felt like I was drinking moth balls. My friend Jacquie was visiting and I think she was grateful that I noticed it too. Otherwise, she would have had to sneak off to buy some bottled water and then stash it in the guest room.

I was sure it was our filter. "We just changed it!" Frank said. "Well, change it again!" I insisted. He did. Still moth balls. And I'm talking about the water from the filtered dispenser on the fridge, not just the water from the sink. But can I tell you about the water from the sink? It's so bad that it STINKS! Even brushing your teeth is icky. (Now I've moved on to the water from the bathroom sink, just in case you visualized me brushing my teeth in the kitchen as I did when I re-read that last sentence).

And it's not just our house. It's restaurants too. I actually almost ordered EVIAN, y'all. But then Jacquie talked me into trying a bunch of lemons. That worked and was way cheaper.

So come to find out there's something going on in the northern Dallas suburbs with algae in the water. It's a summertime thang so we should be back to our just regularly-odd tasting water by fall.


In the meantime, I had to buy those heavy, 2.5 gallon water dispensers. "I'm so happy you did that!" Jacquie said. (I was totally right that she was plotting to get her own stash.) Frank, however, said, "So now we're water people?" (Glad I didn't tell him about my potential Evian purchase.)

I mean, it's not like I was talking about getting one of those coolers with the little triangle cups.



Those were funny times, by the way, when we used to have those things and the water delivery guy came to your house. Bet that business is slow. In the northern Dallas suburbs, though, they might be getting more requests.

"Yes, we HAVE to be water people now, Frank! I cannot drink that stuff. I can barely brush my teeth with it," I told him.  I do actually still brush my teeth with it because I'm not going to keep a gallon water jug in my bathroom like we're at a Mexican resort.

So anyway, being water people is such a pain. Did you know these water dispensers don't just work automatically? You have to puncture a hole in the top, twist and break the seal and let it all spill out before you can lift the 200 pound container into your fridge?

And while we're gulping down the paid-for water, Leo insists on sticking with moth balls. He says the store-bought water is too cold. I think he's just loyal. We may be water people, but he is the algae kid.




3 comments:

GR said...

I can't wait to visit and drink that Frisco water. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

Jacquie said...

We did refill all our water bottles before leaving Lego Land in case "Elsa's water was still yucky." You totally have a reputation now with the Fagan boys... but I'm okay with it. We'll just drink wine instead!

Writinggal said...

Oh, no! I'm yucky water lady!! It's not my fault, Fagan boys!
And GR, did you quote a Kelly Clarkson song?