Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Truth about Trader Joe's

You just mention "Trader Joe's" and people get all giddy: "Oh, I LOVE Trader Joe's!" "Trader Joe's has the coolest stuff!" and "I wish we had a Trader Joe's near us!" And I would agree. Trader Joe's has a funky vibe; they have products you can't find anywhere else and their staff wear Hawaiian shirts. What could be better?

I've got two Trader Joe's around me, each about seven miles away. That's kinda close but I pass about five other grocery stores to get there. So, while I thought I would frequent TJ's, I really don't.

But lately I've thought I should go there more often. I heard their produce is superior and even the prices are better than mainstream grocers. I thought I'd go there for the produce and try to get all my shopping done. Lots of people I know use it as their main grocery store.

I was not successful when I approached it as a one-stop-shop for all my grocery needs. For instance, I was making something that required cream of chicken soup. TJ's doesn't have things like cream of chicken soup. They also don't have normal cheese, just fancy stuff. Forget apple sauce, just pear sauce. (And 3-year-olds CAN tell the difference). Bread? Just the hoity-toity kind (i.e. hard). Yes, they do have great produce and lots of specialty cheeses. Their meat is great and you can find lots of fun things in their frozen food aisle. Still, I would have to hit another grocery store to complete my list.

And while the people who work there are knowledgable and generally helpful, they look at you like you're speaking a foreign language if you ask for non-organic black beans. The other day I was checking out (with half my list unfulfilled) and I tried to hand my bags to the cashier, one by one. She gave me a mock laugh and said, "Um, you just put them over there" and pointed to the bagging area. She acted like I didn't know the protocol. And that's when I realized what it is that irks me about Trader Joe's. Remember that line from Reality Bites that Ben Stiller said? "Excuse me if somebody doesn't know the secret handshake."

That's what I want to say to the patrons and employees of Trader Joe's. "Excuse me if somebody doesn't know the secret handshake." It's like you have to be in the know just to shop there. "Oh, you want baking powder? We only have coconut oil powder!" "Napkins? Sure, we've got brown, cardboard ones for $20."

So yes, it's got cool stuff but I get so aggravated when I try to buy things beyond the novelty there.

And back to the checkout lady and the secret handshake, what's with the tiny shelf where we put our groceries? I need a conveyor belt, people! I was so annoyed with that girl after she made me feel like the new kid at school that when she forgot to ring up some peas of mine and she didn't charge me for them, I didn't even say thank you. That was hard. But I did it. And then I drove over to Kroger's to get all the things I really needed.



3 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Love it...you're just a Kroger kind of gal....and it's really ok!

Kristin said...

I have the same problem at Whole Foods. One time I made the mistake of asking where the Laughing Cow cheese was, but found out it was not organic. What a faux paus. I wanted to slink out of there. I'll just head back to HEB where I know the drill!

Writinggal said...

With my handy map, I can get through Kroger faster. Plus, they have that whole Nature section so I'm covered on the health stuff, right?
I can totally see that happening to me at Whole Foods. They'd be like, "You're the only laughing cow I see...hahahahaha!"