Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Hoarders' Convention

"NEVER AGAIN!"

This is what I said to Frank after returning from the bi-annual kids' consignment sale. It's not that I'm a snob (because I have no problem with my kids wearing used stuff), it's just that I am not a consignment sale person. And this is actually a really nice consignment sale. The owners are very selective about the stuff that gets sold. I appreciate that. I just don't like the act of shopping at it (or any consignment sale).

Frank is much better at it. He loves to go on Sunday because that's the 50% off day. This time I took the half-off God's Day shift because he had work to do. Both of us thought we were getting the short end of the stick.

Here are a few things that were said at the consignment sale (mostly in the very long checkout line) that I just couldn't relate to:

"I got to shop early because I consigned my stuff. I got so much stuff!" (Huh? You sold your junk and bought more junk? What is this, a swap meet?)

"I bought twelve Halloween costumes! I'm set for years. And if they don't wear them at Halloween, they can be dress-up clothes!"

"I came all four days. The first day I scoped it out and the next few days my mom and I shopped."

"I got so much stuff. I mean, some of the shirts were like, a dollar. Even if you don't like it, who cares?"

"I heard about this other consignment sale. They have really good stuff, not that we really need anything."

"I'd rather buy stuff for her (baby) than new shoes for me." (Obviously.)

"I'm just going to go ask a question. I'll be right back. Hold my place in line." (Totally uncool consignment sale behavior! I mean, I stepped out to look at dirty exersaucers and did I ask for my place back? No! It set me back about a dozen people!)

When Leo and Gus have grown out of their baby/toddler clothes I know I will be tempted to participate in this. Please, do me a favor. Refer me to this blog.

P.S. I couldn't decide between this title and "Little Shop of Hoarders." I will use that one someday soon.


4 comments:

Jessi said...

We have the Just Between Friends consignment sale and sometimes I feel the same way. Mostly I feel scammed because all the early people take EVERYTHING and when I go on Friday (a day after it opens), nothing is left, and I drove 20 miles to get there.

They've got it down when it comes to lines so I don't have to deal with line-savers.

Liz said...

HAHA. "Little Shop of Hoarders"... that's hilarious.

Kristin said...

It does matter if the shirt is only $1, it is taking up space in your closet, and you are not using it!

Whenever Buffalo Exchange actually buys my clothes/shoes, you have the option of cash or store credit. I always get the cash even though it is less. The point was I was getting rid of something. I do shop there, but only if I am really looking for something.

Writinggal said...

The one time I tried to sell stuff to Buffalo Exchange they mocked my clothing! They then offered to send it to Goodwill!