Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Vinegar Blog




I just used vinegar to clean up a pee-pee accident by my two-year-old. Tonight, I will use that same vinegar (well, from the same bottle) in a salad dressing. Last night I cooked with onions and when the house reeked, I put out a bowl of vinegar to help get rid of the odor. My point?

Vinegar is amazing! That's why I'm devoting a whole blog to the wonder of vinegar. First, I'll list out the things I already knew vinegar could be used for.

--The three things I listed above: cleaning up carpet stains, on salads and eliminating odors.
--Cleaning hardwood floors
--As a laundry detergent
--As a dishwashing detergent
--Getting out stains in clothes
--As a baking ingredient



But that's only the beginning, people. I posted my respect for vinegar on Facebook and got a slew of other uses for vinegar:

I use it as fabric softener!

Good for diaper laundry too!

What about Easter eggs?

I love vinegar - been making my own cleaning spray with it and baking soda for awhile now, and have been experimenting with it as a fabric softener too!

It takes out those nasty odors from Darin's (Husband's) gym clothes and cleans poop off of carpets. I run a gallon mixed with water through my bath tub to clean out the goo in the jets and am currently marinating some chicken with vinegar. I love vinegar.

If you are feeling sick, take a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar and it will kill what ales you. You won't get sick if you take some as soon as you start feeling you might be.


AND I use it in my home made bug spray.. awesome:
‎2 Cups Witchazel.
1 1/2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and
1 Teaspoon of Citronella oil.
Put that in a spray bottle and it's ready to use

I put a cup in the laundry with my massage sheets and it gets out all the smelly oils.

Nana would put it on our mosquito bites and it stung like hell. But they would stop itching. Thanks Nana!

I mix it with water and dip Bud's (dog's) paws in it so he will not chew on them. You can also spray them on the nose with it when teaching them not to jump. They hate the smell of it.



If that's still not enough uses for you, check out this book called The Vinegar Book


The author spent five years researching vinegar! I thought I was coo-coo for devoting a whole blog to it. He is a SERIOUS vinegar lover.

4 comments:

GR said...

It's also a great nickname, as in Vinegar Bend Mizell, the former MLB pitcher who was born in Vinegar Bend, Alabama.

Kristin said...

Vinegar is awesome and cheap!
I hate mopping, but it is almost tolerable because I can use vinegar on the wood floors and tile without changing buckets.
OK, my house smells a little like I am dyeing Easter eggs, but hey I am also being environmental!

Unknown said...

Apple cider vinegar does indeed offer relief from an extensive list of conditions while also promoting weight loss and increasing your daily supply of energy, and it does so not by being any sort of magic bullet but simply by reinforcing the body’s own processes. The body is a remarkable thing, capable of building and repairing itself almost indefinitely. Unfortunately, our diets and habits don’t offer the body the nutrition and movement it needs to work optimally. Apple cider vinegar works to increase digestive efficiency, the flow of nutrition and waste throughout and out of the body, and the potency of all the body’s circulatory, digestive, immune, excretory, and other systems.
Daniel P. Kray
Author, Apple Cider Vinegar: A Modern Folk Remedy in softcover and digital editions.

Liz said...

I have kept this post up on my google reader feed since you posted it because I didn't want to miss any of the tricks!!! So now I'm finally just going to email it to myself under the title "Vinegar" for all future reference. :)