Search This Blog

Friday, October 09, 2009

Clueless about Clueless


In 1995 my friends and I were wild about the movie Clueless. It was the summer after my senior year in high school and we saw the movie over and over again. And the picture above was tacked onto my bulletin board. For some reason I guess I thought I could relate to Cher. Let's explore the similiarities:


We both have blonde hair.

We both say really cool catch phrases. Oh, wait. That's just Cher.


Some of my faves? (Thanks to IMDB for the refresher):


"Dionne and I were both named after famous singers of the past, who now do infomercials."



"So okay, I don't want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair - ew - and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so."


"If it's a concussion, you have to keep her conscious, okay? Ask her questions."
"What's seven times seven?"
"Stuff she knows!"


"It's like that book I read in the 9th grade that said 'tis a far far better thing doing stuff for other people.'"


"So, this flannel thing. Is that a nod to the crispy Seattle weather, or are you just trying to stay warm in front of the refrigerator?"


"Do you think she's pretty?"
"No, she's a full-on Monet."
"What's a Monet?"
"It's like a painting, see? From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess."


I laughed in all the right places. I used the lines in daily conversation. But even after seeing the movie at least 17 times (14 in that summer), there was one line I thought I got but I didn't:



"Dee, my mission is clear. Would you look at that girl? She is so adorably clueless. We have got to adopt her."
"Cher, she is toe-up. Our stock would plummet."


Now, I never did pretend to know what 'toe-up' meant. Still don't. But that's not what I'm talking about:


I used to always think when she said, "our stock would plummet" that she meant "we would run out of resources." I guess, after working at Michael's where I'd hear things like "gotta see if we have that in stock" I thought of "stock" as inventory.


But now that we're in the Great Depression of 2009 (too bad it wasn't 2007; that would sound so much cooler), I hear about stocks falling, even plummeting. And the other day it hit me: "Wait a second. In that line from Clueless, she's talking about her stock as in her stock value not as in her stock pile!"


It's way funnier now.


I'm gonna need to catch that movie again. Maybe this time I'll realize that Christian is gay before Murray exposes him:


"He's a disco-dancing, Oscar Wilde reading, Streissand ticket holding friend of Dorothy, know what I'm saying?"


6 comments:

GR said...

"And so if the government could just get to the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Haitians."

Writinggal said...

That is a great one! Can't believe I missed it. GR--a closet Clueless fan. Maybe he knows what toe-up means.

Chick Lit Cafe said...

To me, Clueless is assoicated with the BEST year of my life. I watched it the summer after high school graduation, a time when I ditched the Kurt Cobain flannel look and started mixing and matching short plaid skirts with cropped sweaters - what a look that was! And yes, my oh-so-cool gal pals and I would walk around the mall speaking in Cher lingo. Ahhh the good ol' days.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

LOVE this article... I am actually working on one on our blog site, ranchandsyrup.com.. I stole a few of your quotes!! Thanks for a great post! Mari

Unknown said...

Also, I must admit I have seen this movie at leat 10 times... our stock would plummet!! Speaking of their popularity- and in highschool world, it would be a pretty huge deal! Plus, since the movie is based on a Jane Austen book, it actually, "totally like" has a "totally awesome" relevant subject line!